Friday 30 November 2012

Object Concept (Scythe)

Kekai Kotaki



Kekai Kotaki is a digital artist that specializes in character design. One of the many projects he has worked is Guild Wars II. A very popular MMORPG. He started on Guild Wars I in 2000 as a lowly texture artist, and slowly climbed the ranks to the skilled concept artist that he is today.

For my object that i would like to draw would be one kind of weapon. I have been drawing a lot of warrior type silhouettes and want to progress my drawing skills on things like swords and bows. I chose this artist because i really like the characters and weapons that he designs. I like the idea that weapons can represent characters and i think that characters can represent weapons as well. Things like colour and style can determine a characters weapon and that is shown clearly in the right hand side of the image here. I chose this image because i really like the character and weapon and also because the weapon isnt generic. The scythe is something that is not seen very often and i'd like to do my own adaptation of one.









This is the final production of my Scythe concept. I decided to use some of the inspiration form the artist research i did to inspire the shape and design of the scythe. One thing i wanted to do is to make the blade of the scythe more interesting. By incorporating a dragon head on the back of the scythe this gives the object a more interesting story. Rather than just being a weapon this could be a historical weapon. You could use this information to translate the idea further down the line in terms of 3D and game generation. this could be an epic weapon, the dragon head could be alive. I also tried to build dragon wings and scales down the edge of the blade to give it more of a dragon look.





No comments:

Post a Comment